SCENARIO: Continued heavy rains and strong winds have saturated the neighborhood and stressed the LA infrastructure; flooding and landslides in nearby areas have destroyed a substation, knocking out power and most communications – – we hear on the radio that power will be out for many hours, maybe days.
- 9:00 am – Simulated Power Outage
- Blocks already part of “Map Your Neighborhood”, got their MYN booklets and under the bed kits and did the steps necessary to do at home, including placing a fire extinguisher at the curb.
- Blocks that hadn’t held a “Map Your Neighborhood” Workshop, met at “5 Points” Hub (intersection of Oneonta, Nob Hill & Jessica) at 9:00 am for information about getting prepared and getting involved. Many volunteered to help one of the other blocks while some chose to watch and learn.
- 9:15 am – “Neighborhood Gathering Site” Each block formed teams, walked their block and conducted its own mini-drill.
- 10:00 am – Return to Neighborhood Gathering Siteand discuss findings
10:30 am – Meet at “5 Points” Hubfor demonstrations and neighborhood debrief:
- How to place sandbags to divert flooding water
- New “Quick Dam” water-activated sandless sandbags – reusable!
- Safety tips if power lines fall on your vehicle during a storm
- Lessons learned from the drill
- Information, refreshments and prizes!
See more photos of the El Niño Drill on Facebook.
Learn more about MYN and having a workshop on your block.
Finds out more about “Map Your Neighborhood”
Contact MWJN with any questions: email@example.com