MWJN DRILL INSTRUCTIONS for SAT, OCT 16, 2021 10am – Noon
GET READY – Before the Drill take these steps:
- Discuss with your household members why we are having a drill and what they will be doing
- Check your Walkie-Talkie Radio (if you have one) Is it working? Refresh batteries or charge
- Set an alarm for 10 AM on Saturday Oct 16th
- Check your “Under the Bed” Kit for basic safety gear & your Map Your Neighborhood booklet
THE DRILL: At 10am DROP, COVER, HOLD ON! Practice what to do in the 1st hr. of a Disaster:
- Grab your Walkie Radio. Turn to Ch 5 Listen for roll call andcheck in when your Block is called
- Turn your Walkie to your Block Channel
- Get your Map Your Neighborhood booklet and follow the MYN 9 Steps:
- Check your Household – Make sure everyone is safe.
- Dress for Safety – Put on sturdy shoes, a hardhat or helmet, and leather gloves
- Locate your Gas Meter – Know where it is and know how to turn it off if necessary
- Locate your Water Shut-off Valve – Know where it is and know how to turn it off if necessary
- Check that you have your HELP/OK sign with 2 band aids stapled in your MYN booklet
- Place your Fire Extinguisher on the Curb – Dial should be green, invert, and shake for 30 seconds before placing it in front of your house for neighbors to grab if needed for fire
- Go to your Block Gathering Site – Where is it? Follow your neighbors. Wear your face mask!
- Select a Block Drill Coordinator to organize teams based on the number of people and what each person prefers to do. Distribute vests, radios & tools. The Drill Coord. may join either team:
|Block Base Team at Gathering Site||Block- Walking Team(s)|
|Maintains Gathering Site as contact point for Block Tests Radios on Block Channel Tests Radio on Staging Channel Helps Assess Block Resources: ladders, First Aid, etc. Reports key incidents to Staging per Block-Walking Team||Checks the Neighborhood in team(s) of at least two Locates Incident Cards: Remove, discuss, and log action you would have taken on the back of the card Requests help or resources such as ladders, First Aid, etc. Reports key incidents to Base at Gathering Site|
|Radio Operator(s): Radio #1 – Base Block Channel: Talks to Team(s) as block incidents are assessed Radio #2 – Channel 16: Talks to Staging Channel to report key incidents or request additional/outside help||Team Radio Operator(s): Radio #3– Block Channel: Talks to Base Radio #1 at Gathering Site to report serious key incidents and request guidance or additional/outside help Radio #4- Use for Team #2 if there are enough people|
|Scribe: Logs all radio calls- including the time- with Block-Walking Team(s) & Staging; Inventories Block Radios||Scribe: Logs incidents, time, and planned actions Logs all radio communication with Base at Gathering Site|
|Tools: MYN booklet with neighbor info, block map, radios, Walkie channel list, clipboard, paper & pens, block First Aid kit, green safety vests, wrench, crowbar, etc.||Tools: MYN booklet with neighbor info, block map, radios, Walkie channel list, clipboard, paper & pens, block First Aid kit, green safety vests, wrench, crowbar, etc.|
9. Teams return to Block Gathering Site with all the Incident Cards to review & discuss
DEBRIEF: All Block Teams meet at 5 Points (the Oneonta- Jessica- Nob Hill Intersection)
- Review the Incidents and discuss the solutions each block came up with vs. the “official” answers
- Discuss what worked in the drill, what didn’t, how to improve, and how it all may work in a real disaster
- Meet your Neighbors! Eat Pizza! Learn more about Mt Washington Jessica Neighborhood, Inc!
This Drill is a Covid Compliant Event! Wear your face mask when interacting with others at close range.